GCB strives to be inclusive — all dancers, regardless of local studio affiliation, are invited to audition (it’s free!).
In order to understand as fully as possible what it means to be part of our Nutcracker, please read all information prior to auditioning. This is especially important for new families, but also recommended for returning families (since policies, fees, and rules may have changed). The FAQ page is also informative — please look through these common questions as well.
(*In lieu of the required performance fee, adults dancing in the Party Scene are asked to make a financial donation that is personally meaningful. Invited performers, professional actors, and guest artists are exempt.)
Note: GCB does not advise unaccompanied dancers selling door-to-door. Due to Covid-19, all neighbors may appreciate “no contact” sales conducted via phone, carrier pigeon, email, social media, or mail.
Prior to casting, we develop a general schedule (see below) that may be helpful for auditioning and planning purposes. If you have a standing weekly conflict with a particular rehearsal day or time, please let us know prior to auditions. The Casting Committee is not able to guarantee an appropriate role for all dancers that have other personal weekly commitments, but will be mindful when assigning roles that would conflict.
For example, if the appropriate role for your dancer is Soldier, but your dancer is not able to attend scheduled rehearsals for Soldiers, it is possible that your dancer would not receive any role that year.
Please know that every effort is made to keep rehearsal times consistent during the season, but for many reasons, this is not always possible. Within the general time frame set aside for each variation, exact times and specific dancers called to rehearse may vary week to week. See Schedule for more details.
- Attendance will be taken.
- Absences (except for sudden illness or emergency) must be communicated at least one full week in advance to the Artistic Director, Administrative Director, and choreographer. Your absence may indicate cancelling a rehearsal for all dancers in the variation.
- At the discretion of the Artistic Director, any dancer may be replaced for missing (2) or more rehearsals during the production season — this includes pre-arranged absences and sudden illness or emergency.
- Please clear all school-related conflicts (band, choir, play, orchestra, holiday party, etc.) in September. Your teachers will appreciate early notice — don’t wait until the last minute to address known conflicts that will occur in December. (See School Absence Form.)
- Rehearsals are typically scheduled on UM Homecoming weekend — dancers are not excused to participate in or watch the parade.
- Rehearsals are typically scheduled on Sunday afternoon of Thanksgiving weekend. These rehearsals are especially critical if the following weekend is the final run-through and beginning of tech week.
- All rehearsals on and after Thanksgiving weekend (this includes the final run through at the studio) and all rehearsals during tech week in December are required for the entire cast.
- All Nutcracker performances are required for the entire cast.
1st instance – The adult immediately involved will speak directly to the dancer and the Artistic Director will be notified.
2nd instance – The Artistic Director will speak to the dancer and a parent will be notified.
3rd instance – If the dancer is not dismissed (from all remaining rehearsals and performances), a parent will be required to chaperone and supervise the dancer for the remainder of the season.
2019 Tech Week and Performances
Link to “Audition Basics and Pointers for Keeping a Positive Perspective” by Nichelle Suzanne (Founder/Editor at Dance Advantage)
GCB offers a late August workshop (Summer Boot Camp) to help dancers prepare for auditions — these classes are especially helpful for those who have not danced consistently over the summer.
- Dress for a ballet class.
- No make-up required.
- Extra clothing layers, dance skirts, leg warmers, etc. should not be worn.
- Ladies: Solid color leotard. Pink tights that cover the entire foot. Pink ballet slippers. Bring pointe shoes (if applicable). Hair in neat ballet bun.
- Gentlemen: White (or solid color) dance shirt or t-shirt. Black tights. Black or white ballet slippers. Hair off face.
Please bring a photo to your audition. It may be in color or b/w, and should be no larger than 3×5″ in size. Ladies should style hair in a neat ballet bun. Gentlemen should have hair out of eyes and off of face. There is no need to hire a professional photographer, though of course you are welcome to do so! Dancers who take part in Summer Boot Camp receive a complimentary head shot. Make-up is not required for the photo or auditions. Your photo will be submitted to the casting committee, and will not be returned.
Final Audition Checklist
2020 GCB Performance Liability Waiver — print, sign, bring
2020 GCB Performance Agreement — print, sign, bring
2020 GCB COVID-19 Liability Waiver — print, sign, bring
Headshot — bring photo (no larger than 3″x5″)
Audition — attend day and time according to exact age on audition day
Arrive (15) minutes early to check in